Monday, August 13, 2012

Bookstore Bound



The demise of the bookstore is seemingly inevitable...what with Ipads, Kindles, Nooks everywhere.  I confess to using gadgets to read most of my books.  However, I do need and support my bookstore for a couple key items:  hardcover design books and a great selection of international design magazines.  I urge you to visit your local Barnes and Noble- still hosting a collection of mags that are my biggest vice....beware!  they do cost more...but if you really want to expand your design horizons, take a peak at some fun eye-candy of design...there is so much out there beyond AD and House Beautiful. 


Clients and friends sometimes ask where I get my inspiration.  Nature, life, and mostly from other designers......My head feels like a great big pinboard but I never ever tire of looking at more and more and more design.  Yup, that's my head up there in that picture...{minus the guy without the shirt, of course....}

I thought I'd encourage you to get back to work pulling images you like from mags.  Pinterest is a fab tool but I make more progress the old-fashioned way..... going back to the best magazines over and over....saving, tearing pictures out of, filing them, pinning them up....we have stacks and stacks in our office, I have mounds near my bed....nothing can replace my magazines for sparking ideas..


Here are some you might not have picked up recently:

  The World of Interiors...sometimes it gets a little obscure, but love the quality when it's not trying too hard to be edgy....


I need that doggie bed for our new dog, Biscuit!

What is this?  Just beautiful...

wabi-sabi with a french twist


Vogue Living Australia- just super fun and amazing to see so much talent downunder....even when they are not covering Aussies, this mag inspires.






john derian does his thing


Hamish Bowles stylishly unconcerned


British Homes and Gardens.... solid classic, kinda boring at times, but love the consistency and the gardens.




Elle Decoration - I always flip through this first to make sure I want to spend the $$$...sometimes it's too laid back and loft industrial...other times it's delish...





Art and Decoration- can be wildly inconsistent and cliched french but there are tons of images and sometimes they get it just right




Veranda - homegrown......getting better and less staid. 





Martha Stewart Weddings - I know we are all old married biddies now, but this mag has better tips than her regular one, and the party shots always give me great entertaining ideas.



yum...this works for me...

sweet and lots of ways to reinterpret this concept



So trek over to that relic of the past, your humble bookstore, and treat yourself to a design snack - a big load of fresh ideas to get your brain looking like a smashing, house beautiful pinboard.

Let me know what you find!

More to come,
Annie and the Blue Box Team

No comments:

Post a Comment