Tuesday, July 17, 2012

crazy for boxwood



I've been out trimming my boxwood these last few weeks....I do it with scissors, shears, my fingers...anything but electric hedge trimmers. Those tend to run away from me if I wave at the neighbors who are cycling by....and Mr. Hubby thinks I may just chop off an important appendage. 

I'm not capable of complicated topiary trimming of the Edward Scissorhands sort...in fact I have a chicken topiary that now resembles a nondescript chubby bird....however, there is a certain reward to maintaining boxwoods and they DO bounce back if you occasionally give them a lopsided haircut.

I love boxwood for the architecture they give a garden, particulaly in the winter months when all the charming perennials are dormant, the hydrangeas are woody sticks, and the leaves are off the hornbeams and maples.  But then again, maybe boxwoods are even more important in spring and summer?....  When all the frothy, light-hearted plants are showing off, one can be grateful for the humble boxwood.

knibbdesign.com
You all have a little corner of the garden where you could create a centerpiece of box....would love to see this with a sleek modern tapered planter.

such a pretty vista....the boxwoods anchor the scene.


 thinkingoutsidetheboxwood.blogspot.com
Great squares of boxwood- super mod....and check out the underground garage! Also note the vertical wall planting and stacked wood wall....




Such a serene, sophisticated side yard....
rainbowfarmboxwood



The froth is contained within the borders...this garden will look good in every season.
hilltowntreeandgarden.com

Love the layering of green on green...
bleufarm.com


All sorts of topiaried shapes are possible...below are a few from my file- torn out from magazines over the years....so the clarity might not be as good.

so orderly....

tucked away sweetly in a corner pot...

part of the mix...

adding architecture here and there...

love the geometry of box and privet combo

I adore the lollipops....so dr. seussical....

Boxwoods are hardy and resilient which is a good thing for us amateur gardeners.  The only place I struggle with them are when they are under a canopy of leaves and don't get the benefit of the rainfall the others receive.  Right now my box hedge out front is competing with the maples and I haven't adequately nurtured them- so mad at myself!  
If they are well-suited to their site, they are always a pleasure... especially in the spring when they have that lovely chartreuse aura of new growth and then in July right after I've trimmed them all up to be tidy cones, spirals, and obelisks (supposed to happen in June...oh well) .  The only time I feel a bit sorry for them is late July and August when the wounds from trimming are exposed and the brown marks on the cut leaves show.  But heck, that's when all the glam plants are taking over anyway....so the box stand by quietly and wait for the kids to pipe down....

More to come,
Annie and the Blue Box team



 

No comments:

Post a Comment